Data Management Planning
High quality data must be well managed. Planning is an integral part of this process. The main responsibility for research data management usually lies with the researcher. Most research institutions have comprehensive data management policies and procedures to support their researchers.
Elements of Data Management Plans
The diagram below sets out the various elements researchers and research institutions may wish to consider when developing Data Management Plans. Each element is linked to further information.
These include examples of data management plans and checklists for both researchers and higher degree by research students:
- MIT Libraries Data Management and Publishing includes a data planning checklist, links to other guides and other resources.
- DMP Online, the DCC Data Management tool, has been developed 'to enable you to build and edit DMPs with a view to the requirements stipulated by the major UK funders. The tool itself requires registration. However, the DMP template and the DMP Checklist are both available without registration.
- Data Management Plans Online - a video from the Spring 2011 CNI membership meeting.
Data Management Training
- The Information Literacy Program of the Australian National University offers training to researchers and post-graduate students on data management planning. The training is based on the very comprehensive ANU Data Management Manual
- MANTRA University of Edinburgh - free, online, training modules in managing research data for PhD students and anyone undertaking a research project using digital data.
Discipline Specific Training
- Managing research data in Archeology - from the Archeology Data Service in the UK.
- Data Management for Social Anthropology - from the University of Cambridge.
- MyScience and Data Management Plans - from the Australian Antarctic Data Centre
- Data management webinar with Edith Cowan University
- Data management planning - ANDS Guide
- Ethics, consent and data sharing - ANDS Guide
- The Data Curation Continuum - ANDS Guide
- What is Research Data? - ANDS Guide
- full list of ANDS guides
We are keen to get feedback on this page. If you have any comments, constructive criticism, suggestions for improvements or additions, please write to email@example.com.